Sunday 19 February 2012

"I think later I'm going to hook up my mouth to that ice cream machine"

That quote comes from our coach, Matt “Wakeout” Waddell upon discovering the all you can eat nature of the university cafeteria where we are planning on having most of our meals. I was surprised with how at home we all seemed to feel at this university cafeteria, I guess that it’s the similarity to Brescia college back home. The food is good, no question, however it has lead to a few memorable quotes such as:
“I swear, tonight we’re only going to have salads”
“I poured too much maple syrup by accident, so I had better grab another pancake”
“I did two rows today and managed to gain five pounds???”
            Ah the joys all you can eat food and hungry rowers. The overall meal and food quality was quite good and enjoyable.
            Aside from that, we enjoyed our first experience on the water in several months this morning, and it felt just like we left it back in November, raining and cold and windy. Good day for some people to learn how to skull, though as the workout wasn’t very long no one got too cold, though we all were quite keen on hot chocolate at lunch.
            The second row was a slightly longer row up and down the 2km course a few times, rain persisted, making those of us from BC quite reminiscent of home. By the end of this row a few hands were starting to be a bit sore, along with a few other body parts.
            The dinner which followed also took place at the university cafeteria, which delivered yet again. And unfortunately leads to fairly uneventful blog reading.
            Fortunately for us, the Rowing club here was willing to loan us some boats after the unfortunate accident last night. For this we are quite grateful.

1 comment: